|Bessel Van der Kolk
Professor of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine
"EP techniques and procedures can bring about remarkably rapid changes in the way people feel."
|Nathaniel Brandon, PhD
author of The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
"The techniques of EP have provided me with invaluable tools for working with trauma. No therapist can afford to remain ignorant of this new and exciting field."
|Candace Pert, PhD
Author of Molecules of Emotion.
|Norm Shealy, MD
Author of Soul Medicine.
|Bruce Lipton, PhD
Author of The Biology of Belief.
Co-Author of The Promise of Energy Psychology.
Author of The Unmistakable Touch of Grace..
"This really works... I've had great results with tapping in my own life."
"The most powerful new transformational technology to come along in years."
|Deepak Chopra, MD|
|"EFT offers great healing benefits."
|Eric Robins, MD
Co-author of Your Hands Can Heal you.
Clinical EFT Techniques
One of the most common misconceptions about Emotional Freedom Techniques is the belief that EFT equals the acupoint tapping routine. Because EFT involves the very visible phenomenon of tapping with the fingertips on 12 acupressure points, it's easy to suppose that that single act is the main feature of EFT. Many people even use an incorrect name, "Emotional Freedom Technique" singular, rather than the correct "techniques."
In fact, there are 48 distinct techniques that make up EFT, and the acupoint tapping routine is just one of those. Good EFT practitioners will use dozens of techniques, and when a particular technique is not producing results, switch to another.
Here is a list of the core techniques in which certified Clinical EFT Practitioners are trained.
A. Basic Recipe Techniques
1. Describing a Source of Emotional Distress
2. Obtaining a Rating for Subjective Units of Distress (SUD)
3. Identifying Specific Events Linked to the Origin of the Problem
4. Creating a Setup Statement that Combines Exposure and Cognitive Shift
5. Focusing on the Negative First (Resisting the Urge to Caretake the Client using Positives)
6. Key Elements of a Reminder Phrase
7. Correcting for Secondary Gain and Psychological Reversal
8. Tapping 12 Prescribed Acupressure Points
9. Testing the Results
B. Foundational Techniques
10. The Movie Technique
11. The Tell the Story Technique
12. How To Handle Excessive Emotional Intensity
13. Finding Core Issues
14. Identifying the Writings on Your Walls
15. The Characteristics of Effective Affirmations
16. Identifying Tail Enders
17. Daisy Chaining, and Talking and Tapping
18. The Generalization Effect: Identifying it, and Adjusting the Setup Statement
C. Techniques Used to Identify Target Issues
19. Identifying Aspects of the Problem
20. Identifying Different Categories of Aspects (Emotional, Physical, Visual, Cognitions)
21. Shifting the Setup Statement as the Client Rapidly Shifts Aspects. Customized Setup Phrasing, and Flowing Setup Statements. (Timeless Principle 3)
D. The Gentle Techniques
22. The Tearless Trauma Technique
23. Chasing the Pain
24. Sneaking Up on the Problem
E. Techniques for Special Populations
25. Age-Appropriate Techniques for Using EFT With Children
26. Daily Releasing With Children
27. Borrowing Benefits
28. Working With Groups
29. EFT for Cravings and Addictions
30. Techniques for Multiple Phobias
31. EFT for Physical Symptoms; How the Approach Differs from Psychological Symptoms
32. Techniques To Use When Regular EFT Does Not Produce a Reduction in SUD
F. Professional Practice Techniques
33. Reframing (Timeless Principle 4)
35. Techniques for Maintaining Client-Centered Focus
36. Identifying Tables and Legs
37. Techniques for Working on Your Own Issues
38. Maintaining Focus on Self-rating versus Observer-rating
39. Techniques for Becoming Extremely Specific
40. Additional Testing Methods. In Vivo Testing, Confrontive Questions
40. The Personal Peace Procedure
42. Cognitive shifts and how to identify them, and the role of insight in EFT
43. Techniques to Apply When Self-Acceptance Is the Problem
44. Telephone and Skype Delivery of EFT
G. Optional Physical Techniques
45. Additional Optional Tapping Points
46. Collarbone Breathing Exercise
47. The Nine Gamut Procedure, and When to Use It
48. The Floor to Ceiling Eye Roll